Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Some people just think...

that being outspoken is really awesome. Well guess again! If you just met someone for the first time, I think it is better for you break the ice first. And by that I don't mean pointing out your weaknesses.


Remember about my fifth pet peeves? Well, I went to the swimming pool today with my cousin and 2 of his colleagues. We've never met before and when we were in the water, one of his friends said this to me: "wow, you're really fat." Stung by the statement, I gave a curt nod and swam off. Later that day, I reported this to my cousin. He said: "well at least he's being honest". Rather hurt by the lack of support, I retort quite aggressively: "He's not being honest, he's being a dick!"


Yes, I AM very sensitive about my weight and I don't like strangers coming to me and point that out. I'm well aware of that, thank you very much! I told my cousin that, "If you don't have a nice thing to say to somebody, you should keep it to yourself". My cousin observed me momentarily and replied:"I see you're not open to criticism".


It felt like he was pouring gasoline onto a raging fire. Although I was quite irritated, I calmly said: "It's not that I'm not open to criticism, It's just that I've been ridiculed countless of times, as far as I'm alive, people just think that calling me fat is like entertainment. They laugh thinking that it's really funny, but they don't know how I feel on the inside."


It's not like I wanted to be this way. Besides, I wouldn't mind if someone criticized me based on my work, I'm confident I have the ability to do better. But in THIS case, I've been trying and trying but I'm still this way. I remember the last 3 months holiday, I made an effort to brisk walk every single day without fail (unless it was raining) but I am still me. The only difference is the increasing number of blisters on my feet. Sometimes I ponder to myself, "aren't people tired of ridiculing others?"


I would like to say, try to be more empathic. Try not to say something hurtful, have more <3...

1 comment:

mumuiyan said...

Hey~ chin up! :D do the 'things that can make you happy'.. make a cup of coffee or laugh or eat an icecream or sing or paint or listen to your playlist or do ALL now..ahah